Sunday, April 17, 2011

How It All Started...

So a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a lot of pain and a strange bruise that developed in a matter of hours (and I had not bumped anything), so in my typical freak out fashion, I freaked out and went to the doctor to see what was going on. Turns out that my liver is slightly larger than it should be and that there is a tiny cyst on it. No fun. So the doctor recommended some changes to my diet. This got me to thinking and the thought was that I need to detox and reset my body. But here is the issue... I live in Turkey so getting a hold of some of the stuff that is recommended for a proper detox isn't possible. Thus began my hunt for something that would be both manageable for me personally and all natural without strange supplements etc. And I found it!! The Fat Smash Diet by Dr. Ian Smith. You may know him from Celebrity Fit Club and other diet books and shows. Anyway, his plan is to start with a 9 day strict detox with only brown rice, fruits, veggies, water, 4 egg whites a day, oatmeal and non-fat plain yogurt on the list. Then you gradually add your proteins and starches back in. So today is Day one for me... and this blog is how I will stay accountable. I will post everyday and sometimes several times a day. I will list my meals (even include pictures and recipes sometimes), I will log my workouts and I will include my measurements (eek!!). I will also be honest in how I feel emotionally throughout... so please be gentle with me. My hope and aim is that my honesty and struggle might help others in theirs and that a support network of sorts will be created. This blog will not be a permanent one (hopefully I will not be permanently detoxing and dieting, I am hoping and looking for a full life style change here) but it will be up and running for a while and it will be left up for as long as they let me.

5 comments:

  1. You are so brave posting it all online! I have found it hard enough sharing my food diary with my personal trainer but keeping a food diary and exercising hard is working for me, lost 17kgs so far :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! Rach, that is AWESOME!!! Way to go... I will be taking and posting my day one photos etc at the end of the day. I feel like I NEED to put it all online to make it real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Angela,good on you! I also really liked a book called Clean by Alejandro Junger. It has more ideas for long term health and it's prompted me to make some really good changes in my eating habits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Photos are a great idea, make sure you measure yourself as well. Measurements tell a much better story than the scales!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree you are brave for doing this so publicly! Wow! Fantastic though (I keep a diet blog on SparkPeople.com - I don't know if you have heard of it, but it is a great site for dieting, health and nutrition, check it out)

    ReplyDelete